Image Map

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Behaviors and Rewards Galore

I have had so many requests about how I use my clip chart and my behavior reward catalog in my classroom. Here you go…

Since this is my first year in a classroom, I had to really think about how I was going to start out the year. I have a firm belief that for “proper classroom management” you start firm! You can always ease up. If you start out easy, it is sometimes “impossible” to re-gain control. (Basically, you spend your entire year trying to gain control of a classroom you truly never had control over in the first place!) On day one, I set my classroom rules in place and have never looked back. I opted to implement a classroom clip system in my room. (I love it!! I will NEVER use anything but the clip system.) I have bright colors and polka dots in my room so I created my own “version” of the clip system.

image13

Here is a picture of my classroom “clip system” I simply printed off my clip chart onto chart stock, attach a matching piece of place cardstock and sent through the lamination machine.

behavior

Here is an up close picture of my “clips” I spray painted clothes pins and attached wooden circles with “glittered numbers”.

behaviori

I try to stay in contact with my parents and have a daily/weekly agenda that goes home every night. This enables them to stay in contact with me, monitor their child’s daily behavior and see what’s happening during the week or what may be coming up. Since I have a groovy 60’s theme in my room this year, I put a colored peace sticker in my student’s agendas nightly. This allows the students to be held accountable for their daily classroom behavior and keeps my parents informed. If a student is on yellow, orange or red, I do write the infraction(s) down so my parents know exactly what happened. If a student gets in trouble in another class, I simply write where the infraction occurred.  Once agendas have been completed and put away in their daily “peace” binder, I reward my students for their behavior. Anyone on “green” gets one sticker for their behavior incentive chart anyone on blue, purple, or pink gets two stickers, and top of the chart, gets three stickers. The students place the stickers on their incentive charts which hang on their locker.

Here are two versions of the locker reward charts.

behaviorii

behavioriv

Once they have filled their entire chart, they can redeem the filled chart for a “prize” from our prize binder.

MY “PEACE” PRIZE BINDER

 prizebinderi

Inside is filled with clear poly sleeves containing prizes from my Classroom Behavior Catalog 

prize binder

This has been the “best” system ever. I know many people utilize this type of reward system and their are many version on the web and pinterest. I saw the original idea this summer on Sarah Cooley’s site “First Grade At Last”. At the time, she didn’t offer her cute behavior system so I created my own. Here is a glimpse of the catalog I use for my prizes.

image

Snap Shot of two of the cute posters for the poly sleeves.

imageimage

Here is a glimpse of the certificates that can be printed and given to the students. I have included certificates for every “reward”.

imageimage

By POPULAR Demand, reward cards have been added to the catalog. Simply print these onto cardstock and cut. Students can grab their card and keep it till they choose to redeem. I have included a back piece so you can label with student’s name, date of reward and date or redemption.

imageimage

This has been a “GREAT” year so far. My kiddos work very hard to move their clip up everyday and are very proud of their hard work. All of my kids now take “ownership” of their infractions and I have noticed many of the beginning infractions have diminished.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my classroom management tool and prize packet.

Hope you do too!!

Please feel free to pin. If you have any questions, please send me an email.

Always,

Melissa

6 comments:

  1. Love them as I am sure your students do too!


    Stop by and check out my Give Away and my Vocabulary Activities for Skippyjon Jones in my TPT store!

    :)
    Tamera
    MyHeartBelongsinFirst
    Kaizactan2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love hearing how other people take on classroom management and use positive reinforcement in their classrooms! Thanks!

    Jennie
    Leap In To Learn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new follower and beyond glad that I was able to find your blog. Your system is wonderful. The reward binder is such a fantastic idea. We use a school wide system of red, yellow, and green for behavior management and paper tickets for behavior that is seen following the 3 big rules of "Being Responsible,""Being Respectful," and "Being Safe." This system works for most of my kinders but this extra reward system would really boost their motivation to stay "well-behaved."

    Thanks for sharing!
    Erin
    www.missandersonkinder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great classroom management system in place! Thank you for sharing, I'm always looking for new ideas!!
    ✿Sue
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the binder idea. This year I have done the Clip version too. I like that they can move up and down. At the end of the day, I have the kids color in their day to send home. I have a monthly chart with the days having shapes. Monday (circle) Tues. (square). Then I changed it at semester with 3D shapes. So I just tell them to color the cylinder or cone...

    ReplyDelete

❤Melissa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...