Image Map

Friday, December 21, 2012

The Most Famous Reindeer of all….

Most everyone knows my favorite animal is a moose. I have no clue why I am fascinated by these enormous creatures, but they intrigue me. I always used to say I wore a moose a day to keep the doctor away. (That’s when I was in my Abercrombie & Fitch fetish- I still love the moose and the clothes but have a new fetish with WHBM) Although, I love moose my favorite holiday thing besides the “Grinch” is Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer.  I remember when Hallmark introduced Rodney the reindeer- I was so excited I wanted every Rodney they made. God Bless my mother, I think she scouted every Hallmark store in the Ohio Valley that year.

I immediately began a search on pinterest to search for some cool reindeer crafts to make with my kiddos. Many of the ideas I saw used a thumbprint, a hand, even a gingerbread man upside down ( too clever).  Here are just a few of the cute ideas I pinned to my Reindeer Crazy Board. I had to finally stop searching because I was so excited to find so many cute and inexpensive ideas and some clever tricks.

Reindeer Ornament from Square Pennies

2814818488438986_l0E9n1N6_c[1]

Reindeer Light Bulbs Ornaments from PinLaVie

129692_29Nov09_reindeer_lightbulb_ornaments

Rudolph Bulb by Oh Christmas Tree Crafts

27584616437314402_ZbsbZZCm_c[1]

Paper Mache Reindeer from Family Crafts

234046511854770320_9pp0kiNX_c[1]

After scurrying around and trying to find an inexpensive way to make another ornament for my kiddos to give their parents, I thought was at a loss. Until I saw these cute gift tags from Family Fun Crafts

54043264250151431_3J9eslVT_c[1]

and instantly I thought FLOOR/BATHROOM TILE…. My son works at Lowe’s (yippee), but did he remember to bring his momma some tile--- “Nope”!!! GRRRRRR!!!

Thank goodness I have another connection. (Mwah!!)

step

They were super easy.

STEP ONE: Dip thumb in brown paint add thumbprint

step 1

STEP TWO: Using the end of a paint brush allow students to dot eyes and nose. I had red paint and red metallic paint for them to choose from.

step two

STEP THREE: Add antlers. We used a fine paint pen to do the trick. Allow students to practice using a pencil and paper first.

Allow to dry and spray with a sealer. I used Plaid Gloss Sealer (make sure you do this outside or in a well ventilated area.

Finally attach hanger (we used ribbon) and a bow or bow tie. I had a variety of colors to choose from and many were unique and adorable.

LOVE LOVE LOVE How these came out!!!! I even had to make one myself.

Our 2nd ornament for 2012…..

untitled

We wrapped our ornies up in tissue and made these adorable bags I found on the Fiskars site. (LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!)

Reindeer Bag

 

 

Although making a second ornament was time consuming it was well worth the excitement in my kiddos voices and eyes when they had a gift for both their parents.

This was a fast and easy project and it was quite inexpensive.

Happy Holidays from my class to yours.

Always, Melissa

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea-using the smaller bathroom tiles. They turned out so cute. Yep-going to pin this! Thanks!

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE the reindeer ornament! Int he past we have created the snowman ornament w/ the handprint!! Just looking for something different. How did you break apart the tile? Is it hard? Does it just "come" apart?! Looks fantastically easy!!

    ReplyDelete

❤Melissa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...