Image Map

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

SUPER SPELLERS

Since this is my first year in a regular ed room, I have been trying many new things in my room. One of the things I noticed very early on in the year was the deficit many of my students were having with their weekly spelling words. Oh My Word at the beginning my tests were atrocious. ( I dreaded grading the horrid tests!) I knew I had to do something to help my kiddos master their words, but also master the skill that we were working on. I came up with a game plan. Luckily, this plan has been successful. I have seen a huge improvement in grades. I actually enjoy grading the tests now! Strike that, but I do look forward to seeing how much my kiddos have improved over the last few months!!!

Monday: Introduce skill (This is usually done via smartboard. P.S. I love pinterest and my bloggy buddies. You guys have been wonderful sharing powerpoints and ideas) and complete workbook activity.

Tuesday: Review skill (dry erase game/activity) and complete workbook activity

Wednesday: Complete ABC Order (5 words each) and Word Scramble (Available in my Reading Street Supplemental Packets)

Thursday: Complete ABC Order (all words) and SPARKLE Game

Friday: Assessment Day

I also have sterilite drawers with spelling activities. In my supplemental packets, I have word lists that I print and put into a bin. For more details on my spelling activities head on over to my blog posts titled Spectacular Spelling.

Another key component has been the “spelling City” activities for our indoor recess. This has helped my struggling kiddos tremendously. They “love” choosing a spelling stick daily. (This helps keep the games/activities change daily. You never know what the game/activity will be!)

Our “ top” favorite activities are

Sentence Unscramble

Which Spelling City activities do your kiddos love?????

Always

Melissa

2 comments:

  1. You posted editorial SUPER SPELLERS which gives users bunch of information concerning meticulous subject recognition for this allocate.
    Dissertation proposal example

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a great spelling plan!

    Amanda Bryant
    A Traveled Teacher

    ReplyDelete

❤Melissa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...