Image Map

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Daily 5 Book Study: Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Introduction

The time has come to begin learning and exploring the Daily 5. Come join the fun over the next several weeks as many bloggers are teaming up to complete a book study using “the sisters” Gail Boushey and Joan Moser book titled “The Daily 5 Fostering Literacy Independence in the Elementary Grades” (Grab a cup of joe or a soda and great ready to explore!)

Here are some of my thoughts after reading chapter one.

1. On pages 4-6, the authors present two different pictures of their classrooms. In thinking about and reflecting on your own practice, how would you characterize your literacy block? Does it look more like the first or second scenario, or is it somewhere in between? How will you change it?

This will be my first year in a regular education classroom. I have worked the last few years as a special education resource teacher and a co-teacher during the 90 minute first grade reading block. In the school that I work in, we tier our students in reading class based on their individual reading abilities and needs. This year, I will be leaving my job as a special education teacher and heading to a second grade classroom. For reading, I will be teaching the lower level reading group and am very excited about implementing the Daily 5 strategy with my new students. I feel the D5 will give my students the opportunity to explore and become more independent readers/writers. It will also give me the chance to assess and monitor my students very closely. I am very excited about this new journey and can’t wait to begin!!! Yippppeeee!!!

2. The typical teacher is very busy having students do lots of different activities. How is what you are having students do now in your classroom creating quality readers and writers?

In my past reading groups, we have always followed along with the required reading material and had the student’s complete daily worksheets. (The parents seem to feel a worksheet showed their child did something meaningful that day, but it didn’t always show that they could read or comprehend the daily lesson.) Although standards were being met, I have to wonder if “active learning” was actually occurring daily with my students. I am hoping that my struggling readers will develop a true love for reading and writing with the implementation of D5 next year.

3. What sets the Daily 5 structure apart from what you are doing in your classroom?

Since, I have not implemented the Daily 5 in my classroom yet; I do not feel I can share any of the differences from BD5 to AD5. (Maybe next year!) I do hope that by applying this successful strategy in my new second grade classroom, I will inspire my students to “love” reading as much as I do.

I am hoping the D5 will encourage my students to become more independent, take pride in their daily work, and to instill a love for reading that is lifelong.

UPDATE:

As, I stated above I have NEVER implemented D5 in my classroom. I do feel that it could be easily done in a special education setting if you have the students for a chunk of time. Materials could be easily adapted and adjusted to suit the needs of all learners. I personally feel with guidance and structure, the students would flourish with this type of learning, but would need to be monitored at all times to ensure they are working the entire time!!! (I know my lower level learners in my 1st grade reading group needed constant re-direction to “track” during oral reading, stay focused, and to remain on task. That is probably my biggest concern as far as a sped setting. Keeping the students motivated during D5!!)

Next week, the book study will be discussing Chapter 2. Questions to think about while reading/reviewing Chapter 2:

1 .What goals do you have for your classroom as you work to implement the principles and foundations of the Daily 5 discussed in chapter 2? What support do you need to do this?

2. What stands out as the most significant aspects of this chapter?

3. How do the foundational principles of the Daily 5 structure (trust, choice, community, sense of urgency, and stamina), align with your beliefs that support your teaching strategies and the decisions that you make about student learning?

Now what should you do?

1. Well if you are not yet reading the Daily 5 go get it! Click here. It's a super easy read that I read in one day and read again each summer. Try it out!

2. If you have a blog and want to link up go to Suesstastic Classroom Inspirations and link up.

3. If you don't have a blog but want to participate just leave comments, ideas, suggestions, and questions.

4. Check back next week to read about Chapter 2.

11 comments:

  1. Love to hear your thoughts about the Daily 5. Thanks for sharing. I also love your polka dotted signs. I'm so into polka dots right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went from 10 years of being a SPED Resource teacher to being a 1st grade teacher. I absolutely LOVE it, but it made me feel like a first year teacher with all of the changes in routines and procedures I had to figure out. :)

    Jessica
    My Different Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this book study! Like you, I always felt like the students had to have something to "show" for the day. I created a freebie that explains the D5 to parents! Thanks for getting this book study together!

    ❀Bethany❀
    Learning is a Journey
    Polka Dot Parlor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa!

    I loved your thoughts on Chapter 1, mine were very similar since I'm moving from Sp Ed to Gen Ed next year too. I am also excited about trying out this new routine with my kiddos next year! I can't wait!

    Barbara
    My blog: http://mrskilburnkiddos.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the great comments and suggestions. I am a self contained sped teacher and have not used the Daily 5 but have been intrigued to learn more. As a previous sped teacher, do you think it can be implemented in a sped classroom? I teach 3rd grade ED students in a public day treatment setting. Our district is moving to a workshop based model and I think D5 would tie in perfectly. Just not sure how to do it. Thanks for your thoughts!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Melissa. I'm visiting via the Daily 5 book study. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on chapter one. I'm moving to second grade next year after being in 3rd for fourteen years, and have decided to implement Daily 5 and CAFE. I am beyond excited!

    Waving from The Teacher's Chatterbox,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teri - I also taught 3rd grade ED in a separate facility, but I'm moving to a primary resource room next year. I would like to get some thoughts about implementing D5 in a sped classroom, as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a 4th grade teacher in Texas and have never heard of this program until recently after visiting with a teacher in the Minnesota area. My question is, do you think this would be successful in the 4th grade? I am very nervous as next year will be the first time for me to teach 4th grade reading. I have always taught Math and Social Studies. When I heard of this book, it seemed to be something I would like to try. None of my colleagues would be using it. Do you think this would present a problem? Thanks for any help you can give.

    Narlene

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love reading your thoughts on this. My books are coming . . . . see you next week for Chapter 2!

    Kelley "Oh-So Inspired" Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a spc ed teacher moving to gen ed this year as well. Not only that, but I'm going from 4/5 to 1st. I did a modified D% with my group and had to limit the choice part some, just because in our classes they tend to be in and out. Teh one thing that was sacred was the thirty minutes at least for Read to Self. These kids have had no feelings of success with reading. They need someone to say I know you can do it and you just need time practice and support. My whole class went up 1 and a half to 2 grade levels in a year. I really think it was because of the volume of reading we did.

    ReplyDelete

❤Melissa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...