Image Map

Friday, June 22, 2012

Daily 5 Book Study Chapter 2

ch2

As we begin chapter 2 of The Daily 5: Fostering Literacy Independence in The Elementary Grades, I want to express that these points below and all throughout the book study are entirely my thoughts and opinions. They are NOT  that of the “2 Sisters” or their publisher Stenhouse. With that out of the way, let’s get started with Chapter 2, which is all about the “why” of the Daily 5 model.
In the book, the 2 Sisters list 6 different core foundations. They are:
  • trusting students
  • providing choice
  • nurturing community
  • creating a sense of urgency
  • building stamina
  • staying out of students' way
Trusting Students
Trusting your students is one of the most vital aspects of what makes the D5 work.  It is very important to teach students exactly what to do and what is expected, then you must “trust” that they will actually do D5. (In my opinion, I feel with modeling I strongly believe student’s with have no trouble completing D5.  Some may need an additional nudge no and again but I feel once you build that teacher/student trust it is a bond that is everlasting.) Trust is a “HUGE” part of the D5. During the D5, teachers should not be worrying about whether a student is working, they need to be assessing, meeting with small groups, and/or chatting with students. As I stated before this will be my first year in a regular classroom and my first year implementing the D5, I look forward to getting to know my students in the first few days and modeling the expectations of the D5. I have no doubt my students will be motivated to learn and work hard daily.
Providing Choice
I love the “Choice” aspect of D5. The Sisters were right on the money when they stated “children love structure and routine” (p.19) . This is something I have witnessed first hand when observing two different classrooms. Students always flourish in the structured room as opposed to the room that is a “hot mess”. Giving students the opportunity to have the “choice” is a huge motivational, it enables them to definitely take charge of their own learning (a.k.a putting them in the driver’s seat of learning).  I feel D5 gives them the opportunity to decide what they want to do on each given day. I love this aspect. I know I always work harder when I am doing something I choose to do vs. something I was assigned.
Nurturing Community
This is an aspect that I feel we already do in all of our classrooms in my current district. Many of our students come from lower socio-economic backgrounds and walk in the doors needing to feel safe and secure.  I love that D5 brings on a whole new meaning of this aspect and enables the students within the D5 to become entwined as a group/community. As the educator, we need to nurture them and help provide them with the basic essentials to become better readers/writers. The community aspect not only holds them accountable for their learning, but also the learning of others all around them. I feel this is a key element for life too. (love it!)
Creating a Sense of Urgency
It is all about teaching the “why”. Once the students understand the “key” purpose then the activity will become worthy of their attention and concentration. By implementing the d5 we are actually teaching them the why (become better readers/writers) eventually this will flourish into an enjoyable habit not just a chore.
Building Stamina
As I read this section, the theme title for “Rocky” kept playing in my mind.  Stamina in the D5 is all about building up (increasing) your minutes of independent reading and writing. Just like Rocky did to prepare for his fights. (okay, why does the song keep playing in my head with a vision of my students in grey sweat outfits running through the school- Stop it, Stop it!) BREAK TIME
With this thought in mind, you must start out slowly and build every day/week/month. At the beginning of the year, the goal is very small  and as they master the goal they will push themselves to try something harder.  (Maybe I should play a snippet of “Rocky” to model the word stamina to my students. –LOL)

Staying out of Students' Way
Oh My Word!!! This is going to be a tough one for me. Leave them alone and let them work!!! Allow students to flourish in their routine without constant hovering!! Okay, this is my goal for the 2012-2013 school year! As a sped teacher, I was constantly walking around giving positive reinforcement to my students as well as the other kiddos in the class. During D5, I need to not “HOVER” and allow my students to work.  I think this will be a challenge for me at first, but I know it will only be harmful to the D5 if I hover. I can do it!!

OH MY! Oh MY! Look at this adorable stamina chart- Hop on over to Teaching with Style and snag it up for FREE

So, this week, think about how you can implement these foundations into your reading instruction. Which aspects do you already do? Which ones do you want to work on more? Are there any that you don't agree with?
Next week we'll hop over to Mrs. Freshwater's Class (That’s Me- Yippeee!!!) and Thinking Outloud for chapter three. Start thinking about your framing questions:
  1. What "rings true for you" in this chapter?
  2. How are your students progressing with picking appropriate books?
  3. What (if anything) could help improve the processes from this chapter in your classroom?
Since this is a BLOG HOP:
Head on over to the LINKY PARTY at “Teaching with Style” !

2 comments:

  1. Let me start by saying that your incorporation of the phrase, "hot mess," absolutely made my evening. It's not just any blogger who can work a gem like that into the mix :) Your post was great . . . easy to read, to the point, and entertaining. I will definitely be back next week as I am a D5 rookie :)

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should definitely play Rocky for your students! Too funny! it'll get them pumped up! :)
    Teaching With Style

    ReplyDelete

❤Melissa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...